Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kuching, Sarawak Trip 2012 - Day 2 :: PM - afternoon

Date: 6 (Thursday) -10 (Monday) Sept 2012

Day 2 
Location: Semenggoh Orang Utan Sanctuary
Weather: Drizzling
Transportation: Jeep

PM (evening)

Pick up from the hotel was 1.30pm but I received a call at 1.15pm. Went down to the lobby and saw the uncle. Quite surprised since we're going via an SUV. He said since there're only 7 of use, this is easier. I was the first one to be picked so I sat in front :)

Journey to the sanctuary took around 30mins. Basically, there are 2 feeding time - 9am and 3pm so we're in time to watch few orang utans eating at the front area before going to the main feeding platform. This platform is only open for an hour during the feeding time, so PM session is 3-4pm. Do take note that these orang utans are wild orang utan and the Center is set in the jungle with no boundaries for these mammals. They come and go as they're pleased.

It's crucial to follow the rangers instructions I won't go into the details of the center as I have provided the link below. But I was quite excited to see these fellas in their natural habitat. Around 3, one of the rangers called out with fruits on the platform. Basically he simply yelled "Ooii! Ooiii!!" hehehe. No one showed up for the next 20mins. Maybe it's the weather as it started to drizzled (luckily the trees are quite thick so we the visitors won't get wet. If it's too heavy, there is a hut provided.

Anyway, a female orang utan named Lela was the first to come. She pretty much conquored all the food. I could see that a lot of people started leaving around 3.30pm since no other orang utan showed up. I decided to talked to the ranger asking if it is usually like this (not many orang utans showed up) if it's raining and he said yes. Pretty much depends on the weather. I was facing him with the feedingn platform behind my back. As I was taking, I saw trees far in front of me started moving so I told him. Guess what, it's the arrival of the big boss "Ritchie". He's the eldest and biggest among all the orang utans here. From the way the tree bend, I could tell that he's huge. But it didnt prepare me of the actual living being. saying HUGE is really an understatement. He's as tall as the ranger but the width is 3x :p Since he came from the back, Ritchie has to came across our viewing platform so we humans have to gv way to him.. When Ritchie reached the feeding platform, few more came but they all just snatched the fruits and ate while hanging away from him hahaha.

Well, because of him, I was the last one from our group to reached back to the jeep :) No pics from the Semenggoh Signboard since that area is in contruction for the new bridge towards the center.




Cost: Tour to Semenggoh Sanctuary RM40 (entrance fee + transportation)
http://www.sarawakforestry.com/htm/snp-nr-semenggoh.html



Full photo album of Day 2 here



No comments: