Friday, July 04, 2008

Toastmaster anyone??

Editor's Note = Whatever written here is of my belief. You do not need to agree with everything i'm saying here..

Embarassed, yet flattered. Today's Toastmaster meeting was very refreshing. After hearing the sharing by Distinguished ToastMaster (DTM) Rajagopal, my mind is enlighten on how I can deliver a powerful and effective speech. He is a brilliant speaker who uses a lot of body language and vocal variety. Everybody was laughing all through his speech.

Now, what has this related to "embarrassed, yet flattered? At the starting of his speech, Mr Raja told us that he didnt want us to take notes. He wanted to see our faces during the speech. So he was talking about how important English is, and there have been people who's academically achieved 18A1 in SPM but couldnt speak English at all. This remark left me thinking, how the heck can this person passed her oral exam?

So i wrote down the question to Jessie who was sitting next to me since I dont want Mr Raja to see me talking. But then Jessie asked me sth. Naturally i had to talk to her back. When i returned my gaze towards Mr Raja, he addressed a question to me!! Erk?!? I have no idea what he was talking about, let it be what he was asking me!!

"Owh never mind. She didnt hear what i was saying. She was having a private talk with her friend". Arrgghh!!! malu siott!! I lost my glance for a minute, there i was on the spot light. *sigh*
So after that, I decided to fully focused to him.

I have a habit, of playing with the pen and jotting things down while listening to a talk. Since Mr Raja already told us not to take any notes, I decide to write down indiscreetly, not to make it obvious. Or maybe, just write without looking down. But argh! He noticed it!


"Now u dont need to write down anything. I have everything printed out for u. it's a 6-page powerpoint slides I will give u after my speech.", he said WHILE LOOKING AT ME! Kantoi lagikk!! Why does he kept looking at me?? I do noticed that I'm like this permanent point he looked at while delivering his speech. Determined not be embarrassed again, i put down my pen and laid back to the chair. Hah! No more aiming at me!

At the end of the meeting, I waited for everybody to go back to get some extra notes from Mr Raja. He was talking to Jessie about her speech before talking to me. So i was talking and talking to him but as Jessie was about to leave, she suddenly asked him another question.


Mr Raja then commented about someone, " She got the best facial expression around the room. I liked watching her, such a friendly face". Of course, i looked at Jessie (coz Jessie asked sth and supposedly he was answering her) and smiled to her. Surprised, Jessie ask me, "who?" and i said, "You". "I'm talking about u", Mr Raja said. I was really shocked since he was referring to me all the while. Here I was, reluctant to talk to him due to the earlier incidents, and i cant forget when a senior once told me that i was too serious while listening to her talk.

Now i know why he kept looking at me most of the time during his speech! Owh I'm flattered and stil in a good mood up to now! hehee =)

At the end of the day, a lot of good things happened since i joined Toastmaster. I learnt a lot of the Dos and Donts of public speaking and i will definitely continue to be a member even after i left Intel. After all, the best investment is investment in yourself. I aim to conquer my public speaking fear! yezza!!

p/s: It's funny how i never heard of Toastmaster while i was in the States..
http://www.toastmasters.org/
Holla me to request any info..

No comments: