Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Kuching, Sarawak Trip 2012 - Day 3 :: PM – Kg. Boyan (kek lapis hunting)


Date: 6 (Thursday) -10 (Monday) Sept 2012

Day 3 
Location: Sarawak Cultural Village & Kg. Boyan.
Weather: Fine
Transportation: my feet

PM (night)

Next destination is across Sarawak River towards Kampung Boyan (Boyan Village). To get there, it’s easy. Just take a boat at and any jetty. But do note, although there might be a signboard saying the charge is 50cents one way at day time and RM1 at night, I was charged RM1 one way. Well, I gave RM1 and the uncle never gave me my change. It’s the same on return.

 Anyway, it was really a short journey. About 5mins crossing the 500m river hahaha. Don’t worry, the boat although small IT IS sturdy. There are 2 foodcourts. The first foodcourt I walked passed was kind of packed so I went to the one further. Based on the stall names, they looked rather identical. But food can wait. My first objective being there was to get some kek lapis.

Oh ya, there are 2 kek lapis shops within the area. The first one is Kek Lapis Mira and the second one is the most famous, Kek Lapis Dayang Salhah. Mira is located by the road side so u can easily see the shop even frm across the river. Dayang Salhah is a bit further walk but u wont miss the signboard. When I was there, there was a construction right in front of the shop. So if ure lost, just ask around.

There are variety of cakes here. And I mean A LOT. Normal sweet sour layer cake (that’s the typical basic cake flavor), all the cheesy ones and the mixed taste. According to the lady at Mira, Sarawak layer cake originates from a basic cheese cake. Then they just add and mix the flavor according to their creativity. I find it quite odd coz ever since I could remember, layer cake has always been the sweet sour cake. Maybe this is just how Sarawak cake differs. Aha! Among all this, the best part is that u can try all of them hahahaha! Here’s the bad side though, after trying all the samples u might get confused :p

Price ranges from RM10 to RM40. Depends on the type, flavor and size. A tip here, there are 2 types of layer cake. They’re either made of either butter or margarine. If u want the soft, fluffy and moist-y type (but high cholesterol and fat!), go for the butter one. Margarine is quite dry.
For dinner, I went to the 2nd foodcourt and had the local delicacies – Mee Kolok kering and the C-ping (a.k.a at Peninsular as 3 layer tea). The food there is quite cheap, about RM4 for mee kolok and RM2 for the drink. Wayyyy cheaper than dinner at the Waterfront. “cut-throat” btul la kt situ.
The day ended with the night stroll along the waterfront. Just a short walk due to my “shopping baggage”.

Next up – Satok Weekend Market.

No comments: